SIR/MADAM,

I AM USING ORACLE 9i IN WINDOWS XP AND WINNT. HOW CAN I TAKE COLD BACK UP OF DATA. PLEASE GIVE ME A BRIEF IDEA. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT IS THE FACILITY OF COLD BACKUP.

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

COLD backup means to take a full backup while the database is in shutdown . Mainly during cold backup , we just take the backup of oradata folder (which contains datafile,controlfile,redolog files) to the other place .

The facility of cold backup are :

The cold backup always maintain consistancy . At any inconsistent problem of database or if any of datafile are corrupted at any moment then u can copy/paste all the oradata folder contains and can recover the database . But the main problem is , the database goes to that previous moment at when u take the cold backup .

(N.B: During cold backup , you should copy paste all the oradata folder's contents .)

Cold backup is more secured rather than other backup , if ur database is not too large enough . If the database size is going too large then u need to take rman or export/import backup .

I think you are clear now ..

Many Many thanks, another one thing can you tell me how can i take cold backup ??

Way of taking cold backup :

1) shutdown the database

2) copy oradata folder (which contains datafile,controlfile and redolog files) and paste it to another location .

we need to take datafile,controlfile,redolog files because mainly the main parts of a database are the above thing . so we need to take all these thing as a cold backup .

Also , when ur database make any corruption then u just copy the contents of oradata folder and paste it to the original location (example : C:\oracle\product\9.2.0\oradata)

> 2) copy oradata folder (which contains datafile,controlfile and redolog files) and paste it to another location .

Except your Oracle version is 8i or higher. In this case you should use RMAN ...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Oracle Jobs in US

© 2024   Created by Maisam Agha.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service